Edward Prior, London, Movement No. 42727, 38 mm, 65 g, circa 1817
An almost as new miniature gold enamel triple-cased verge pocket watch for the Ottoman market with corresponding gold enamel watch chain and key
Case: transport case - 18K gold, polychrome enamelled edges, glazed back, à goutte, large lateral hinge. Outer case - 18K gold, polychrome enamelled edges, on back polychrome translucid enamel medallion with depiction of the coast area of the Dardanelles, lateral hinge. Inner case - 18K gold, polished. Dial: enamel, radial Ottoman numerals, gold hands. Movm.: full plate movement, frosted, gilt, chain/fusee, pierced movement pillars, three-arm steel balance, engraved pierced balance cock, large, set diamond endstone on balance.
It is truly a stroke of luck that this remarkable watch still has its original chain, exquisitely worked in gold with polychrome enamel plates with paintings of coastal landscapes.
Movement as well as case design of these watches intended for the Turkish market were already outmoded in 1817 - and even more so in later years; nevertheless Edward Prior and some of his contemporaries such as George Prior (II), George Charle, Markwick Markham-Perigal and Isaac Rogers specialized on this type of watch because there was a ongoing demand for them on the Turkish market - be it from tradition or from a true love of the elaborately ornamented movements and cases. It is quite possible that many of these watches - the one we have here is among them - never even left England, because their exotic beauty had its devotees in their own country too. Very often these buyers kept the watch safely in a drawer like jewellery, which explains the mint condition of some of these marvellous pieces - as it is the case with our watch. The exquisite gold enamel cases were probably created by goldsmith Augustus Newman in 7 Plumptree Street, Bloomsbury, London, whose mark appears for the first time on November 4th, 1813; we still do not know who painted the gallant scenes on the outer cases though. The maker of the pendants was definitely Thomas Emmett of 16 Albemarle Street, Clerkenwell, London; his mark was registered on December 14, 1814.
机蕊 非常好, 走動正常
机蕊 非常好, 走動正常