John Ellicott, London / George Michael Moser, London,Movement No. 7270, Case No. 7270, 51 mm, 137 g, circa 1777
A heavy and decorative pair-cased pocket watch
Case: outer case - 22k gold, Repoussé case signed by Moser, depiction of a pastoral scene of a goatherdess and a flute playing young man, engraved and chased volutes and scrollwork, à goutte, large lateral hinge. Inner case - 22k gold, polished, case maker's punch mark "ITP" (John Terrill Pain, Shoe Lane, London), signed and numbered movement protection cap. Dial: enamel, radial Roman hours, "Poker & Beetle" gold hands. Movm.: full plate movement, keywind, firegilt, signed, applied engraved ornaments, chain/fusee, cylinder escapement, three-arm steel balance, very fine open work balance cock with floral engravings, large chatoned diamond endstone.
John Ellicott (1706-1791)
One of the most eminent English watch- and clock-makers, established himself in business about 1728 and became a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1738. Ellicot was the inventor of a compensation pendulum and paid great attention to the use of the cylinder escapement only a few years after its improvement by Graham. In some of his later pieces the cylinders were made of ruby.
George Michael Moser (1706-1783)
George Michael Moser was born in Schaffhausen on January 17, 1706. He studied chasing and gilding under his father Michael, a coppersmith. He moved to London in 1726 and worked for John Valentine Haidt, goldsmith and watch chaser. By 1737 he was working on his own account at Craven Buildings off Drury Lane. In addition to chasing he also produced fine enamel cases of which only about twenty are known to survive. He designed the great seal of George III and painted enamel portraits of the royal children for Queen Charlotte. In the 1740's Moser became a leading figure at the St Martins Lane Academy and later, in 1769 he became the first Keeper of the Royal Academy. His repoussé watch case work is among the finest to be found. Moser continued to work at least until the late 1770's, and was active for the Royal Academy until the end of his life. On January 30, 1783, the "Gentleman's Magazine" reported that Moser "was followed to his grave in grand funeral pomp by all the capital artists, Sir Joshua Reynolds at their head as chief mourner, Sir William Chambers, etc. Ten mourning coaches, besides two gentlemen's coaches, were in the procession".
In The Art of the Gold Chaser in Eighteenth-Century London, Richard Edgcumbe devotes over 40 pages of text to Moser's work in addition to the many illustrations included.
The inner case was made by John Terrill Pain , who had his workshop at 7 Dean Street, Fetter Lane at the time. Pain had an excellent reputation; he had learned his craft with case maker Thomas Layton, who also worked in Dean Street. Pain was freed from the Company on January 18, 1768 and had his first workshop at 67 Shoe Lane from November 16, 1775 on. It is thought that Pain took over his old master’s workshop about a year later after his retirement or death. The case mark on this piece was registered on October 16, 1776.
錶殼 非常好, 少有使用過
机蕊 非常好, 走動正常, 建議整修
机蕊 非常好, 走動正常, 建議整修