Francis Robinson, Inner Temple Lane, London, Movement No. 249, Case No. 11, 56 mm, 141 g, circa 1725
An English fine pair-cased verge pocket watch
Case: outer case - silver, polished, case maker's punch mark "SI", large lateral hinge. Inner case - silver, polished, case maker's punch mark "SI". Dial: silver, Champlevé, inlaid radial Roman hours, chased centre with flower decor and a head, signed, Poker & Beetle hands. Movm.: full plate movement, keywind, firegilt, applied engraved and open-work ornaments, signed, glass between movement plates decorated with applied engraved arched pilasters, chain/fusee, steel balance, fine florally engraved and open-work glazed balance cock showing an eagle, a vase and a face.
Clockmaker Francis Robinson worked at Inner Temple Lane, a small street in the Temple. He began his apprenticeship with Henry Jones in October 1685; Jones was an excellent clockmaker who had his workshop in Fleet Street between Falcon's Court and Hercules Pillars at the time. While still an apprentice officially, Robinson was de facto lead worker in Jones’ workshop by the early 1690s and remained there after his master’s death in 1695 under the direction of Jones’ widow Hannah. He was freed from the Clockmakers’ Company on April 7, 1707 after 22 years as an apprentice. He became the Company‘s master in 1725. Robinson was clockmaker to the Prince of Wales and worked until 1747.
Dial: very good
Movm.: very good, capable of running, cleaning recommended