Christian Petschler, Paris, 90 x 70 x 22 mm, 178 g, circa 1830
An excellent, French presentation box with the portrait of the Archduke Johann of Austria (1782-1859)
Case: 18k gold, tortoiseshell and porcelain, maker's punch mark "CP"(Christian Petschler), third standard mark for 18 carat gold Paris 1819-1838.
Rectangular box, the hinged cover with a centred polychrome painted porcelain plaque depicting a half length portrait of the Archduke Johann of Austria wearing the uniform of an Austrian Field Marshal, with the Order of the Golden Fleece, upper star, Commander's star, Order of Maria Theresia and the Order of Leopold. The portrait is flanked by two black enamel plaques with blue floral ornaments on a chased gold sablé ground decorated with foliage. Slightly raised thumbpiece.
Archduke John of Austria (German: Erzherzog Johann Baptist Joseph Fabian Sebastian von Österreich; 20 January 1782 – 11 May 1859), a member of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine, was an Austrian field marshal and German Imperial regent (Reichsverweser) during the Revolutions of 1848.
He became a Field Marshal in 1800 and led the Austrian army during the Napoleonic wars. He later developed a great interest in nature, climbing, technology and agriculture. He collected minerals and was active as an alpinist and hunter in the Duchy of Styria – he attempted to be the first to climb the Grossvenediger.
His morganatic marriage to Anna Plochl (1804-1855) excluded him from the succession to the throne but he gained much affection from the Styrian people and was elected Imperial regent during the 1848 Revolution.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archduke_John_of_Austria, as of 03/15/2016.
Christian Petschler was born in 1780 in Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Neu-Brandeburg. It is probable that he was a son or near relative of the Neubrandenburg silversmith Gottlieb Joseph Petschler (1748-1822), originally from Norköping in Sweden. It is not known where Christian Petschler received his training but it is evident that he had already arrived in Paris before 17 October 1807. Petschler’s mark is found on presentation boxes retailed by Ouizille & Lemoine.
Case: very good, hairline