Probably Hanau, flange number 3070, 87 x 58 x 19 mm, 117 g, circa 1820
A very fine gold and enamel snuff box with four colour gold decoration and polychrome enamel miniature "Garden View of Pillnitz Castle near Dresden"
Case: gold, maker's mark illegible.
Rectangular box with round corners, allover gold ornamentation with chased floral motif, engine-turned pattern on sides and back, hinged lid with rectangular enamel medallion.
Pillnitz Castle is a restored Baroque palace at the eastern end of the city of Dresden in the German state of Saxony. It is located on the bank of the River Elbe in the former village of Pillnitz. Pillnitz Castle was the summer residence of many electors and kings of Saxony; it is also known for the Declaration of Pillnitz in 1791.
The Pillnitz Castle complex consists of three main buildings, the Riverside Palace (Wasserpalais) on the riverfront; the Upper Palace (Bergpalais) on the hillside, both Baroque with Chinoiserie elements; and the later Neoclassical New Palace (Neues Palais), which links them together on the east side. The buildings enclose a Baroque garden and are surrounded by a large public park.
Today, the palace houses the Arts and Crafts Museum (Kunstgewerbemuseum) of the Dresden State Art Collections and a Palace Museum (Schlossmuseum).
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillnitz_Castle, as of 06/24/2016.
Case: very good