"LR" (Louis Roucel), Paris, 90 x 45 x 32 mm, 141 g, circa 1765
A rare French Louis XV two-colour gold box
Case: 22K gold, maker's mark "LR" (Louis Roucel), charge and discharge mark Jean-Jaques Prévost (1762-1768), Parisian guild punch mark "B" for the years 1765-1766.
Oval box, engraved and chased strapwork and floral ornaments on all sides.
Louis Roucel was one of the most renowned jewellers of his time but only became a master by special privilege several years after his first pieces have been recorded. His sponsor was Alexis Porcher. The archives show that in 1759 Roucel lived and worked at the Place Dauphine in the house of box maker and royal goldsmith Jean Ducrollay; he is known to have moved to the Quai de l'Horloge in January 1764. He remained there until 1776, a year after the death of his wife. Roucel’s name was frequently listed in the records of the department of Menus-Plaisirs du Roi, which was in charge of of all the preparations for ceremonies, events and festivities, down to the last detail of design and order. He is mentioned for having received the sum of 4,800 livres for jewels supplied on the occasion of the marriage of the Dauphin to Marie Antoinette in 1770. Louis Roucel died on March 6, 1787 in Puteaux, a village to the west of Paris.
The box most likely comes from the collection of the 3rd Duke of Grafton, Augustus Henry FitzRoy (1735-1811), a British Whig politician, unitarian, Knight of the Garter and one of a number of dukes who served as Prime Minister.
Source: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustus_FitzRoy,_3._Duke_of_Grafton, as of 07/12/2016
Case: very good