Here you can leave bids until 12 hours before the auction starts.
Please contact us then by e-mail, fax or phone.
iron, gun-metal finished, pink gold crown and hinge, engraving FLZ (Flieger- und Luftfahrt-Zentrum Berlin) and air force symbol propeller.
3/4 plate movement, screw compensation balance.
very good, capable of running, cleaning recommended
According to Dr. Konrad Knirim this chronograph was used by the Prussian aviation units during the First World War. The marks showing a winged propeller with the letters FLZ, often in combination with full owner’s identification.
Around 1916 the FLZ at Berlin Adlershof was formed from the "Prüfanstalt und Werft (PuW)" (the testing and the service divisions). The FLZ at Adlershof still existed during the Second World War.
The watches were converted and delivered most probably by watch dealer and jeweller Friedrich Wilhelm Kreis in Berlin/W, who supplied a great number of pocket chronographs and stop watches. Friedrich Wilhelm Kreis owned the company Strasser & Rohde from 1918 until his death and moved it from Glashütte to Berlin.
A nearly identical pocket watch chronograph is illustrated and described in Konrad Knirim "Militäruhren" (military timepieces), Bottrop 2002, p. 93.