Master's mark "J" and "T" (André und Jean-Louis Jordan & Francois-Claude Theremin), Berlin, punched flange number 396, 62 x 17 mm, circa 1780
A very fine German diamond-studded enamel powder box
Case: gold, case maker's mark: crowned "J" and crowned "T", imitating charge mark Jean-Jaques Prévost, two later Parisian punch marks for gold 1838-1846, rim with number 396.
Round box, all-over translucent cobalt blue enamelling on reeding and coin-pattern engine-turning. Loose cover with round enamel plaque within a border of diamonds, with polychrome painting: pastoral scene with a gallant couple playing the flute, in the background a sheep and farm buildings. Cover, base and sides with a band of frosted gold with opalescent white and opaque red enamel studs and translucent green foliate enamelling.
Theremin was the son-in-law of Jean-Guillaume-Georges Krüger. Together with the brothers André and Jean-Louis Jordan he founded an important manufactory for ornaments and jewellery in Berlin, where they employed craftspeople from Paris and Geneva. Around 1794 Theremin went into partnership with his brother Pierre, who had a workshop in St. Petersburg. They decorated their gold boxes with neoclassical Geneva style enamelling and these boxes were a great success. The brothers possibly marked their products with the initials "JT".
Source: José de Los Llanos, Christiane Grégoire, "Boites en or et objects de vertu au Musée Cognacq-Jay", Paris 2011, p. 536.
Case: very good