A. Lange & Söhne, Glashütte B/Dresden, Movement No. 1204, 180 x 175 x 180 mm, circa 1940
A Glashuette Ankerchronometer with 35h power reserve, sold on 03/14/1940 to the Marinewerft Kiel. With original dispatch notes and test certificates dating from 1952-1963 Case: mahogany. Dial: silvered. Movm.: brass movement, gilt, external hand setting device, going barrel, "Griesbach"-chronometer balance with 4 weights and 2 screws.
This Lange & Söhne ship’s chronometer comes with an exciting collection of documents. The chronometer records of watchmaker Happe in Kiel list no. 1204 for the first time in 1963, there are, however, a number of data sheets for services and repairs of this timepiece for the years before 1963. The papers were issued by Happe and by the Wempe chronometer manufactory. Among others they bear the signature of régleur Karl Hampel, who worked for Wempe for many decades. Two test certificates issued by the German Hydrographic Institute in Kiel complete the set of documents.
The workshop of the Happe family in Kiel was established by Franz Happe in 1866; initially he used English ebauches but later he was supplied by Glashütte. The watch and clock shop Happe still exists in Kiel today.
According to the dispatch notes dating from 1961 the chronometer was used on the ship "Käthe Grammerstorf" , owned by Karl Grammerstorf in Kiel. The story of this cargo ship began in 1929, when the cargo ship "Barmbek" was put into service in Flensburg. In 1944 the "Barmbek" ran on a reef near Maaloy in Norway which caused heavy damage to the bow (possibly an act of sabotage?). The stern was raised in 1949 and rebuilt, to resume service under the name "Käthe Grammerstorf". In 1957 the "Käthe Grammerstorf" was converted to a motor vessel, only to suffer another accident in 1962; the ship then ran as "Eleftherios" for a number of years before it was ended up in the scrapyard in Panama in 1977.
A dispatch note dating from 1962 (possibly after the accident of the "Käthe Grammerstorf") states that the chronometer was used on the ship "Heinrich Grammerstorf" ; built as "Westfalen" in 1952, the vessel was named "Heinrich Grammerstorf" in 1955 and then ran under various names until 1980, when it was scrapped in Pakistan in 1980. The artist Otto Mulsov (1902-1973) created an impressive painting of the ship against the old town of Kiel.
Estimate 5,000 - 15,000 €
Price Realised 5,000 €
A lot from a recent auction!
× Tell a friend ...
× Place a bid on
Authentic pieces EXPERTISE & KNOWLEDGE Our experts assure you the authenticity of all our cataloge for a safe
Worldwide shipping FAST & SECURE All our parcels are sent via our efficient & trustful partner FedEx.
Always available SPECIALIST & FRIENDLY We're available to respond to all your questions and interrogations.